httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <jwool...@virginia.edu>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0 STATUS
Date Fri, 15 Mar 2002 03:00:23 GMT
On 14 Mar 2002 trawick@apache.org wrote:

>   +    * Scoreboard structures could be changed in the future such that
>   +      proper alignment is not maintained, leading to segfaults on
>   +      some systems.  Cliff posted a patch to deal with this issue but
>   +      later recanted. See this message to dev@apr.apache.org:
>   +      Message-ID: <Pine.LNX.4.44.0203011354090.16457-200000@deepthought
>   +                  .cs.virginia.edu>
>   +

I don't know what it was that made me convince myself it was broken.  I
need to go back and look more carefully.  It was something like I thought
that aligning an array was wrong because the elements of the array would
be out of whack, but that doesn't seem right because the compiler should
align an individual struct correctly so that it can be placed back to back
with ITSELF and maintain alignment.  It's placing structures back to back
with other structures that could cause headaches.  So the patch could well
be correct, though as you say, right now the sizes are magically correct
anyway.  I'll look into this more closely as soon as I can.

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com
   Charlottesville, VA