httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject RE: PROPOSAL: new directive for mod_proxy
Date Fri, 08 Mar 2002 17:08:02 GMT

> From: Graham Leggett [mailto:minfrin@sharp.fm]

> The standard way of setting what is allowed and what is not allowed in
> an URL space is via Options. If proxy has its own directive, but
> everything else uses options, it's confusing and inconsistent.

Yes, it is confusing and inconsistent, but that is what we have already.  I
think you'll find if you look through the directives that there are many
things that could be controlled by Options, but aren't.  Options is
basically just a hold-over from NCSA.

> If options are too hard to use that is a separate problem.

Well, sure.  But in my opinion, the only way to fix options is to split it
out:
Includes On|Off|NoExec
ExecCGI On|Off
etc...

If you have other ideas....

The only advantage that Options has is the ability to do
<Directory /path>
Options None
</Directory>
and turn off everything in one shot.  But I think that is far outweighed by
all the misconfigurations that it causes.

Joshua.