httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Bugzilla projects setup...
Date Sat, 16 Mar 2002 20:20:01 GMT
At 01:31 PM 3/16/2002, you wrote:
>On Sat, Mar 16, 2002 at 01:01:01PM -0600, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> > At 12:51 PM 3/16/2002, you wrote:
> > >Hi gang,
> > >
> > >I finally had a chance to set up the projects in Bugzilla for HTTPD.
> > >"Apache HTTPD" (for 1.3) and "Apache HTTPD 2" (for 2.0) on bugzilla.
> >
> > Ick.  Isn't this was version tags in Bugzilla are for???  Please delete
> > the duplicate, you know users will misfile anyway.  I'd rather just fix
> > version, not version+app on every misreport.
>
>Pier recommended the split based on prior experience.  Tomcat has
>separate Tomcat3 and Tomcat4 projects.  I just followed the
>convention already in place.

Then you needed "1.3" and "2" (or "2.0" for clarity.)  It's not my
preference, but at least be consistent :)

>I'll remove "HTTPD 2" for now and if we want to add it back in
>later, we can.

Fair enough.

> > And the app is Apache HTTP Server [or httpd ... lower case].
>
>It needs to be short.  Apache httpd?  In fact, "Apache HTTPD 2" is
>the longest project name in Bugzilla right now.  Pier recommended
>"Apache," and I don't like that as it isn't specific enough.  And,
>I think if we put just "httpd," no one would know what it was.

Isn't "Apache" implicit?  I suspect "HTTP Server" is the easiest entry
(or HTTP 1.3 Server/HTTP 2.0 Server).  httpd implies you are running
on a unix-derivate, Win32 or Netware users might be somewhat lost.

otoh, HTTP Server could be misinterpreted as the standalone Jakarta
which would not be pretty.  Perhaps Pier was right, Apache itself says
a ton.  If we populate a component list under Apache that tells the
rest of the story, nobody would be confused.

What about core, the whole list worth of modules, apr and apr-util,
pcre and xml as Bugzilla "Components"?

Making apr and apr-util as components will allow other apache-projects
to list those same components, and you can query these cross-project.
Jakarta is already using these in some connectors.

Of course, the apr component of APR solves this headache for folks
simply using the library.