httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jerry Baker <jerryba...@weirdness.com>
Subject Re: HTTP 404 Served As text/plain UPDATE
Date Tue, 26 Mar 2002 19:00:32 GMT
Jerry Baker wrote:

> I just noticed something about this problem. If you request
> /nonexistentfile.html then the error response is sent back with
> text/html, but if you request /nonexistentfile then it still comes back
> as text/plain.
>
> --
> Jerry Baker

Not only that. If you request /nonexistentfile.exe, it gets sent back as
application/octet-stream. The ErrorDocument is being returned with
whatever content-type matches the file extension of the requested
document. I doubt many people want to download the ErrorDocument in the
case that they request a non-existent application/octet-stream URI.

--
Jerry Baker