httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject 1.3.24 mod_proxy patch: multiple set-cookies fix
Date Mon, 25 Mar 2002 04:53:19 GMT
Pedro Melo Cunha sent this patch to the modperl list, it probably
belongs here.

He also mentions that gnats won't accept his report.

Here is the original post:

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Be carefull with apache 1.3.24
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 01:01:24 +0000
From: Pedro Melo Cunha <melo@isp.novis.pt>
To: modperl@perl.apache.org

Hi,

a bit of history: I read on the documentation the new mod_proxy feature
called ProxyIOBufferSize which allows for even better handling of lasrge
mod_perl httpd's. This babby, and another little patch that also made it
(closing the backend connection as soon as possible) allows for me to
have a split of 100 modproxy process for only 10 backend mod_perl
process... neat! :) (BTW, using this and mod_gzip, and you can save a
bundle instead of buying those nice redline boxes :)

the problem is that it's only available on 1.3.24 (at the time, 2 or 3
days ago, it wasnt available yet), so I used the CVS version.

Looking at the change log, they mention a bug that multiple set-cookie's
will fail (only the last one will be sent to the client, the proxy will
"eat" the others). And it was true... The problem is that 1.3.24 final
also has that bug: only the last set-cookie will reach your browser.

This was a show-stopper for my application. So I sat down, read the
proxy code, and made a patch to solve the bug. I then sent the patch to
the apache bug database (i really hate gnats ;), but they drop it (as a
duplicate). I admit i could not attach my patch to the existing bug
report on this subject (I said I hated gnat's :). So my patch did not
made it the 1.3.24...

Anyway, I attached here. Maybe someone here can push it into apache for
the next release, and in the meantime you can use it, if you want.

I also attach a cgi that set's two cookies, to demonstrate the problem.

Best regards,

PS: mod_perl totally rocks... serving well over 70.000.000 pageviews
     with mason...
--
Pedro Melo Cunha - <melo@isp.novis.pt>
Novis Telecom, S.A. - Dir. Rede - ISP <http://www.novis.pt/>