httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <>
Subject performance: using mlock(2) on httpd parent process
Date Wed, 20 Mar 2002 04:02:53 GMT
mod_perl child processes save a lot of memory when they can share memory
with the parent process and quite often we get reports from people that
they lose that shared memory when the system decides to page out the
parent's memory pages because they are LRU (least recently used, the
algorithm used by many memory managers). I believe that this applies to
all httpd modules and httpd itself, the more we can share the less
memory resources are needed, and usually it leads to a better performance.

Therefore my question is there any reason for not using mlockall(2) in
the parent process on systems that support it and when the parent httpd
is started as root (mlock* works only within root owned processes).

Of course this is relevant to 1.3 and 2.0 httpds.

Stas Bekman             JAm_pH      --   Just Another mod_perl Hacker      mod_perl Guide

View raw message