httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: how to debug worker mpm httpd with gdb?
Date Wed, 13 Mar 2002 04:04:08 GMT
I realize that the problem is in the debugger, not the MPM's cooperation
with it. If it was able to automatically switch to the thread when a
breakpoint is reached and stay there that's all I need and then I don't
care how many threads are running.

Moreover I definitely agree with Ryan, that in order to debug threads
you need more than one worker thread, otherwise you can do most of the
debugging with prefork mpm. Not that the potential problems will always
manifest them during the debugging, but it raises the chance that some
problems will be exposed early.

I guess my request was more of asking tips and tricks that I'm not aware
of to improve the threads debugging experience. I'm new to threads
(especially debugging threads), and I believe many others too. So having
a doc explaining debugging threads will save a lot of questions when
other module authors will start porting their modules to 2.0.

I volunteer to create such a doc based on what I learn, so if you can
help me that would be great!

Are there any books covering threads debugging in details? I've read
"Programming with POSIX(R) Threads" so far but it doesn't cover debugging.

> but I'd make sure you are running
> the latest gdb version (5.1.1?).  I've found that the threading
> support was much improved from 4.x->5.x.  -- justin

yes, I've the latest one.

Are there any other debuggers that are better than gdb concerning
threads, including commercial ones and running on Linux?

Thanks