httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Apache adding content-type to responses without one
Date Fri, 08 Mar 2002 20:02:45 GMT
"William A. Rowe, Jr." wrote:

> I disagree entirely.  You should be -able- to do so, without being forced
> to do so.
>
> The simple fix is not to define the default content type in the root of
> the <Proxy > directive.  However, there seems no 'trivial' way to do so,
> unless <Proxy *> would accomplish this.
>
> If we don't support a 'none' option to the default content type directive,
> we aught to do so.

It seems that supporting a "DefaultType none" is the way to go, however
looking closer at the code, it looks like having no content type is
going to break a lot of things.

I think (but have not confirmed yet) that the fix for the missing
content-type in a proxied request is simply to include a "DefaultType
text/html" within the config.

However - according to RFC2616, the content-type-of-last-resort is
application/octet-stream. In Apache, the content-type-of-last-resort
DEFAULT_CONTENT_TYPE is text/plain.

Should this not be fixed?

Regards,
Graham