httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: Torching ap_document_root
Date Fri, 08 Mar 2002 17:49:16 GMT
Tony Finch wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 08:23:35PM -0800, Sander van Zoest wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 02:25:56PM -0800, Greg Stein wrote:
> > >
> > > Modules shouldn't be worried about the document root.
>
> This also applies to CGIs. The DOCUMENT_ROOT environment variable is
> a non-standard extension so it should be avoided.

I'm not entirely sure I agree with this.  I can think of times
when CGI scripts -- which have access to very little information
unless they're running inside mod_perl -- *would* want to know
the DocumentRoot in order to form proper vhost-specific URIs.

Greg, please take a step back and ask yourself: what *harm*
does it do for modules to know the DocumentRoot?  If it does no
harm, then standing in the way of others just because you can't
think of an application *does* do harm.
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"