httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Log file rotation... log sub system
Date Fri, 01 Mar 2002 02:10:33 GMT
dirkx@covalent.net wrote:

> Though I one 100% agree with the stance that a proper web server should..
> well.. serve pages - It sure would be nice if we could have a logging
> subsystem in apache 2.1 or higher which took care of some of the harder
> things for us module/appserver developers when bouncing around
> logging data.

In v2.0, mod_proxy, mod_cache, mod_ldap and mod_dav all support "sub"
modules beneath them to perform specific tasks (eg mod_disk_cache and
mod_mem_cache for mod_cache, etc).

Perhaps the logging module should be split up in the same way, with
mod_log handling the hooks, and mod_log_disk handling logging direct to
disk, mod_log_sql handling direct to database, etc.

Each logging submodule could allow "drop through" the way mod_cache does
- so if mod_log_sql cannot handle a log for any reason, through config
or through failure, it could drop through to mod_log_disk and not get
lost.

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon