httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sander van Zoest <san...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: Torching ap_document_root
Date Mon, 11 Mar 2002 02:23:46 GMT

On Sun, Mar 10, 2002 at 04:00:48PM -0800, Greg Stein wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 10, 2002 at 05:26:01PM +0000, Tony Finch wrote:
> > There is no problem with it in principle, but the current
> > implementation is broken. It is too tied to the core's idea
> > of the URI->filesystem mapping and modules are unable to fix
> > that when they know better (mod_vhost_alias, mod_userdir, ...).
> Exactly. DocumentRoot is rather meaningless in the presence of Alias,
> Location, and other directives that define the URL space of the server. The
> DocumentRoot is an arbitrary point. Even worse, it hard-codes the concept of
> the root being tied to the filesystem.
> Relying on that isn't very good. If Module FOO wants to know something about
> the filesystem or the URL space, it should be told explicitly. Or we should
> have a way for files to say "tell me the filesystem path for <this> URL"
> (knowing that it could come back with "doesn't exist"). To some extent, that
> latter question is currently solved by using a sub-request to map a URI to
> the filesystem. Ugly, but that is how the server is currently set up.

We would also need a way for CGIs to know where its websites documents
are. Currently this is usually done with ENV{DOCUMENT_ROOT}, but
as discussed this has its issues. If we would potentially allow
modules to specify where they consider the static documents lie,
then that would solve most of the issues in CGI land.

Then we we can use a URI->FS resolver solution for modules or what
ever seems appropriate.

Cheers,

--
Sander van Zoest                                          +1 (619) 881-3000
Yahoo!, Inc.                                           sander@yahoo-inc.com