httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: Having sane default configs was Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0 STATUS
Date Fri, 08 Mar 2002 20:54:52 GMT
On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 12:22:24PM -0800, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> >        * We do not properly substitute the prefix-variables in the configuration
> >          scripts or generated-configs.  (i.e. if sysconfdir is etc,
> >          httpd-std.conf points to conf.)
> >   +        Aaron says: This is not a showstopper, these problems have existed
> >   +                    for as long as I can remember. It would be nice to fix
> >   +                    them but they are not new.
>
> Since we now have layout fixed, I think with any subsequent release
> that we make, people will use layouts and complain that we generate
> invalid default configurations for their layouts.  I can imagine the
> PRs coming in now.

I agree that this is a problem, but I personally don't think it is
a big enough feature to hold up a Beta or maybe even a GA. In the short
term I'd like to see us produce another Beta so we can gain some more
confidence in a GA.

> I have no desire to handle those PRs.  Do you?

I've already begun looking into apachectl to correct this.

> I realize that you feel that we should not provide any default
> configuration assistance (I believe even setting Listen via
> --with-port is bogus to you).

That is irrelevant to this discussion since right now I'm more
interested in getting a stable 2.0 than bringing up this relatively
minor issue.

> For those that may not understand the exact question, it is
> this (restated):
>
> "Should we modify httpd-std.conf to stop referring to logs/,
> conf/ and substitute the $localstatedir and $sysconfdir values?"
>
> I'll let the group decide.  -- justin

I think for now the obvious answer is "Yes, we should". There are other
places where we make bad assumptions about apache paths that could use
some help as well (most notably apachectl and apxs). Should we hold up
a release because of it (beta or otherwise)? IMHO, No.

-aaron