httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/include ap_release.h
Date Wed, 06 Mar 2002 19:45:05 GMT
On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 10:20:05AM -0800, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> Let me just go on record saying that I don't think we're in a
> position to release another version.

Of course we are. Call it an alpha. If you don't even think that is fine,
then call it a developer snapshot.

> I won't be voting on any 2.0.33 releases or rather I will be
> casting a negative vote because I don't want another public

You mean that you won't vote to call it beta. But Ryan can easily post a
"developer" release called 2.0.33 for people. A number of users can't get
the stuff out of CVS, so the tarballs are very good for them.

> release without our API changes (both of which have been posted).
> That obviously won't stop the release if the majority agrees
> with you.  -- justin

As Ryan pointed out, there is no such thing as a true API freeze. And trying
to establish a "hard freeze" isn't going to work. There are quite a few
things that people might want to change, but just haven't had time to get
to. A freeze is effectively a smackdown for those people, a little slap
against their lack of time. It isn't right, and it isn't good for the code.
If an API is wrong, or it doesn't lead to a great server, then it needs to
change, and it *will* get changed.

Cheers,
-g

--