httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: httpd-ldap and apr shared memory
Date Wed, 06 Mar 2002 17:20:35 GMT
On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 07:05:04AM -0500, Tim Moloney wrote:
> Further investigation shows that the new shared memory API in APR does
>
> not include the functionality of the old API.  Specifically, the
>
> following functions are missing:
>

>   apr_shm_malloc()
>   apr_shm_calloc()
>   apr_shm_free()
>
> So the solution to get httpd-ldap running is to complete APR's new
> shared memory API.  Adding this functionality is beyond me but I'll
> post it here so that someone more knowledgable can fix it.
>
> By the way, I currently have httpd-ldap running by commenting out the
> httpd-ldap code that uses shared memory.

Actually, the malloc/calloc/free code was moved somewhere more generic.
This allows the apr_shm.h API to deal with only the basics of shared
memory allocation/deallocation, and do so in a way that is fully
cross-platform. The old API didn't support non-process-inheritance
systems like Win32, OS/2, etc.

See apr_rmm.h in apr-util. If you need more details I'd be happy to
answer your questions over on the dev@apr.apache.org mailing list.

-aaron