httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject [dennis.lundberg@mdh.se: config/10040: Wrong file suffix for Swedish languge documents]
Date Tue, 05 Mar 2002 15:47:28 GMT
This bug report has come up before. Anyone mind if I commit a change
to 1.3 to fix this?

-aaron

----- Forwarded message from Dennis Lundberg <dennis.lundberg@mdh.se> -----

From: Dennis Lundberg <dennis.lundberg@mdh.se>
Subject: config/10040: Wrong file suffix for Swedish languge documents
To: submit@bugz.apache.org
Date: 5 Mar 2002 14:04:24 -0000

>Number:         10040
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       Wrong file suffix for Swedish languge documents
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
We have done some tests using content-negotiation to supply documents in multiple languages,
much like the index-page in the documentroot of a standard Apache installation.

After reading the ISO spec for language- (639-1) and country-codes (3166) we have found that
the config directives for mod_mime/AddLanguage seem to be wrong for some languages. The convention
with different file suffices let the document author see what language a certain document
is written in.

The chosen file suffix for Swedish is ".se" which is identical to the country code, but the
language code for Swedish is "sv". In my opinion the file suffix should match the language
and not the country, espcially for a language that is spoken in more than one country. I mean,
you don't have a ".us" or ".uk" suffix for english.

I believe that the same applies to Danish, which should be changed from ".dk" to ".da".
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
*** httpd.conf-dist     Tue Feb 19 11:27:10 2002
--- httpd.conf-dist.patch       Tue Mar  5 14:45:06 2002
***************
*** 748,754 ****
      AddLanguage ltz .lu
      AddLanguage ca .ca