httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "'Justin Erenkrantz'" <>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/server util_filter.c
Date Sun, 03 Mar 2002 18:36:44 GMT
On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 10:20:52AM -0800, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> Was that the one about returning a 302 to the client?  No way.  If every
> time we do a multiviews or a mod_dir request we have to send a 302 to
> the client, we will cut our throughput horribly.  You are actually
> talking about making most of the requests we serve require two requests.
> Think about it, the most common request people make to a web server is
>  To make that request return a 302 EVERY time
> is just wrong.

Eh, you obviously missed my point.  I was saying conceptually what
we'd do is to return a 302.  That's the real thing we *want* to do.
There should be no argument there.  I never suggested returning a
302 every time - I just said that's the ideal.

But, instead do an internal_redirect from a hook and allow the
original request to be aborted.  I'd suggest that you read
my entire message and attempt to understand what I'm saying.

> Plus, the protocol filters are already working.  Please re-read this
> patch, it didn't add the protocol filters, it just changed how we insert
> filters.  In reality, this patch is only broken because of the way we
> use our filter list.

Nope.  I think you've missed how the filters are chained together
and that they won't be added correctly under any circumstances.
But, I'll wait for you to commit what you meant so I can decipher
your true meaning.  Regardless, this just gets filters working.
We still have problems with headers and subreqs too.  -- justin

View raw message