httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Baffled by the negotation fix...
Date Sat, 02 Mar 2002 19:50:21 GMT
Ryan Bloom wrote:

> We originally wrote the protocol filters to be connection based, but
> that had some drawbacks that people were unwilling to live with, and it
> made writing input filters very complex.  Today, the filters that
> implement the protocol are request based.

Gotcha. I checked back and re-discovered the problems. Durn shame, since
they really are closer to being connection rather than request oriented,
for non-stateless protocols.

> of the request.
>
> The problem we have is that we have tied our protocol filters to the
> lifetime of a resource, or a single request_rec in the server.  I am
> stating that I believe that the correct way to fix this is to split the
> protocol and resource filters into two pointers.  The resource-lifetime
> filters are ignored on sub_request and internal redirects.  The protocol
> filters are by definition carried over from one request to the next,
> until the request (from the user's perspective) is finished.

I think think would also tend to allow for better abstraction as well.
But the ideal solution would be, to formally implement the protocol
layer, even though not needed for HTTP/HTTPS. Of course, the overhead
required may not be trivial. Then again, the filter division may
allow us to "kinda" implement it anyway.