httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: Baffled by the negotation fix...
Date Sat, 02 Mar 2002 04:26:44 GMT
On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 04:50:16PM -0800, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> I don't understand how this is working.  The original code from Will
> came from a discussion that he and I had over the phone.  My question is
> how were the protocol specific filters removed in this case?
>
> Oh, damn, the problem is that these filters are request specific instead
> of connection specific.  What we really need, is a filter type that is
> request specific, but that isn't specifically tied to the request.
> Basically another field in the request_rec, which would store all store
> all HTTP_HEADER filters.  That way, they wouldn't be lost for
> sub-requests and internal redirects.

Yes, but the concept of the protocol is intertwined with the concept
of a request.  A request should be one "transaction" of a protocol
interaction.  A protocol filter shouldn't survive successive
iterations of a "request" - we saw that didn't work for HTTP.

What's wrong with a simple hook that lets the protocol engines add
filters to a request?  -- justin