httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@covalent.net>
Subject Win32 Segfaults at shutdown ... what happened.
Date Wed, 20 Mar 2002 05:49:58 GMT
Ok folks, hope I can offer a reasonable suggestion of why
we 'suddenly' discovered all these segfaults.

The old MPM code, in the process of shutting down by Win32's
request, would tell the Win32 SCM that it had 'shut down', before
all of the cleanup code had run.

It's my suspicion that this code caused the SCM to terminate our
process, before we had finished running our own cleanups.  That
left us wide open for the ordering faults we are seeing today.

Some of that may be in the MPM itself - I will be vetting and fixing
the pools selected for each call, based on the initialization phase and
scope of the object created

One huge change that affects all MPMs is the create scoreboard
code.  We pass pconf through ap_run_pre_mpm ... but pre_mpm
is only invoked on initial starts and graceless restarts.  It MUST be
passed a process->pool that will outlive that generation.

I'll pass on discoveries, but I think that the 'good' shutdown code has
just opened up the can, and the worms are wiggling.

Bill