httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Re: ap_sub_req_lookup_dirent
Date Wed, 13 Mar 2002 18:22:28 GMT

> > We have to run all of the hooks, from translate_name through fixups for
> > all sub-requests.  While translate_name shouldn't do anything for a
> > lookup_dirent call, all of the auth hooks, type_checker, and fixups can
> > all modify the request.  By calling ap_process_request_internal the code
> > is simplified, because there is only one way to go through request
> > processing.  The previous solution had a different path for every
> > subrequest mechanism.
> >
> > Ryan
> >

> I am not an expert in this area, but it appears that we skip running a lot of the hooks
in
> ap_process_request_internal depending on whether the request is a subrequest or not (and
> the check for subrequests is very coarse grained, precluding the possibility of
> selectively handling different subrequests differently. For instance, a dirent
subrequest
> should not call the quick handler ever... perhaps it is okay for other subrequests to
call
> quick_handler...
>
> Bill

I think the problem may be with the location of the quick_handler hook. Or we need to be
more selective in when we call quick_handler(). Ian (I think) moved the location in order
to be able to search the cache for SSI include files (that are fetched via subrequests).
Will need similar function for Akamai ESI tag handling... Need to mull this over a bit...

Bill