httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Re: ap_sub_req_lookup_dirent
Date Wed, 13 Mar 2002 18:16:17 GMT

> > ap_process_request_internal() is called at the very end of
> > ap_sub_req_lookup() and I don't
> > see that it is providing any additional information that is not
> already
> > available prior to
> > the call (ie, we already have stat'ed the file and know all the finfo
> > required by the
> > caller). The only useful thing that I see happening is authentication.
> > Otherwise, we do
> > not want to run translate_name or most of the other hooks as far as I
> can
> > see...
>
> We have to run all of the hooks, from translate_name through fixups for
> all sub-requests.  While translate_name shouldn't do anything for a
> lookup_dirent call, all of the auth hooks, type_checker, and fixups can
> all modify the request.  By calling ap_process_request_internal the code
> is simplified, because there is only one way to go through request
> processing.  The previous solution had a different path for every
> subrequest mechanism.
>
> Ryan

I am not an expert in this area, but it appears that we skip running a lot of the hooks in
ap_process_request_internal depending on whether the request is a subrequest or not (and
the check for subrequests is very coarse grained, precluding the possibility of
selectively handling different subrequests differently. For instance, a dirent subrequest
should not call the quick handler ever... perhaps it is okay for other subrequests to call
quick_handler...

Bill