httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Re: mod_proxy Cache-Control: no-cache=<directive> support Apache1.3
Date Sat, 02 Mar 2002 14:43:38 GMT

> > *) get backend response as soon as possible even it's very big.
> >    mod_accel uses temporary file for buffering backend response if
> >    reponse can not fill in mod_accel configurable buffer.
>
> This kind of thing is fixed in v2.0 in mod_cache. It is too big an
> architecture change for the v1.3 proxy.

Haven't thought this through, but there is at least one complicated case to consider and
handle correctly.  If the backend is chunking a response back to the proxy and that
response exceeds the size the proxy is allowed to cache, then the proxy would need to
abort the caching, send the partial cached file, cleanup that file, then continue reading
from the backend. And would we want to make this behaviour configurable? Are there
practicle (non-contrived) cases where it is unacceptable to defer sending bytes to the
client?

Bill