httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <>
Subject Re: has anybody seen worker segfaults?
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2002 19:43:04 GMT
Aaron Bannert <> writes:

> On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 06:02:26PM -0500, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> > I just tried to hit this on my Solaris x86 box with no luck.  I did
> > 200,000 simple requests with a SIGUSR1 sent to the parent ever 2
> > seconds.  No segfaults or failed pthread calls, but at the end of the
> > 200,000 requests I had 177 stranded connections (client still waiting
> > on a response on 177 connections).  I also had 177 connections to the
> > httpd port in FIN_WAIT_2.  Weird...
> It is my understanding that FIN_WAIT_2 happens on the client side after
> the client does an active close but before the server does a close. If
> the server process died I'd expect the OS to send a FIN back to the
> client, so perhaps you have child processes that never died off from the
> previous generation?  On that theory, you would have 177 connections in
> CLOSE_WAIT on the server.

yep, of course you're absolutely right...

I started a document describing these issues at

There are some windows at the end of the exchange where Linux netstat
(client side) and Solaris 8 netstat (server side) did not display
information about the connection, even though it still existed.

Also there are possible deviations in the order in which the exchange
can occur which would result in different TCP connection states.

Jeff Trawick | | PGP public key at web site:
             Born in Roswell... married an alien...

View raw message