httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: FYI: worker not running on Solaris 8
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2002 15:54:45 GMT
Pier Fumagalli <pier@betaversion.org> writes:

> Jeff Trawick <trawick@attglobal.net> wrote:
>
> > Pier Fumagalli <pier@betaversion.org> writes:
> >
> >> Not even starting up... Once I launch it, the first child dies, and no
> >> workers are left to process requests... Now trying with "threaded"...
> >
> > Anything in error_log?
>
> Yes, complaining about not being able to set the group ID (and after reading
> in the default HTTPD.CONF, I figured out that that was the thing killing the
> parent process)...

yeah, I read your followup after I responded... sorry :(

> > "threaded" is no more
>
> Noticed after pulling down the live CVS :) :) And it wasn't the thing I was
> looking for anyway... I need perchild (fixed number of processes), since my
> processes are becoming pretty big (200/300 megs)... Nothing like putting a
> JVM in there, and I can't allow to have it fork()...

If you're willing to keep the number of threads constant, you can run
worker with a fixed number of processes.  Yeah, it is twisting the
design a bit but so what...

<IfModule worker.c>
ThreadLimit      500
ServerLimit      1
StartServers         1
MaxClients         500
MinSpareThreads     1
MaxSpareThreads     500
ThreadsPerChild     500
MaxRequestsPerChild  0
</IfModule>

Replace 500 with whatever floats your boat.  You'll always have one
server process with that many threads.

             Born in Roswell... married an alien...