httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0 STATUS
Date Sun, 03 Feb 2002 14:29:52 GMT
Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org> writes:

> On Sun, Feb 03, 2002 at 03:19:41AM -0000, jwoolley@apache.org wrote:
> > jwoolley    02/02/02 19:19:41
> >
> >   Modified:    .        STATUS
> >   Log:
> >   I was leaning toward the configurable flavor, but OtherBill convinced me
> >   we should be more concerned with keeping the parent rock solid than adding
> >   extra layers to protect the children from a broken parent.
>
> You might not be able to keep the parent running. What happens with the
> Linux OOM killer decides to nuke it? Your parent may have zero bugs, but it
> cannot defeat the OOM killer :-)

Does anybody know if the process receives some sort of signal before
you get nuked on Linux?

On AIX, in this situation the kernel sends SIGDANGER to some running
processes.  While I wouldn't recommend trying to evade being nuked, it
might be nice to have a handler that records something in the log,
ignores the signal, and raises it again (i.e., don't interfere with
the system trying to stay alive, but at least let the Apache admin
know what happened).

             Born in Roswell... married an alien...