httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: Apache 2_0_31 is now rolled (take 2)
Date Sat, 02 Feb 2002 15:36:44 GMT
Ian Holsman <ianh@apache.org> writes:

> the NW patch is in there.
> the non-crap tarballs are in the /dist directory.

+1 for FreeBSD 3.4...

I unpacked it, did binbuild, did the binbuild installation, and
hammered* it over local LAN with 200,000 requests (mix of CGI, / to
drive lots of wrowe code, invalid URLs), throwing in a few graceful
restarts to make it interesting

*given the rather modest characteristics of my FreeBSD box, perhaps
"hammered" isn't the right term :)

I'm still struggling with the tarball on AIX.  I think it is just a
matter of cleaning up libtool 1.3 droplets so that a fresh buildconf
does what it is supposed to do.  The symptoms of my binbuild failures
are consistent with the use of some libtool other than 1.4.2, and I've
been testing Apache 2.0 HEAD builds every several hours on AIX, with
multiple compilers and multiple build flavors, without hitting any
problems that aren't resolved in 2.0.31.  The only recent breakage was
Bill's proxy breakage (fixed prior to 2.0.31) and the APR_OS_DEFAULT
breakage (introduced after 2.0.31).

--/--

There's no magic solution for now w.r.t. creating a tarball that works
everywhere since some of our platforms have conflicting libtool
version requirements.  All we can hope to accomplish currently is

 a) the source tarball works as-is on a reasonable number of platforms
    (yeah, somebody may end up unhappy, but I promise not to scream if
    it won't work as-is on a platform I care about)
 b) people familiar with platform problems can work around them (e.g.,
    wipe clean and do buildconf) to do a valid binary build when the
    time comes
 c) we write down any work-arounds in a common place so that end users
    can replicate the procedures

             Born in Roswell... married an alien...