httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/server core.c
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2002 01:31:47 GMT

On Mon, 25 Feb 2002, Aaron Bannert wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 04:58:50PM -0800, Brian Pane wrote:
>
> > ...or declaring perchild
> > experimental-use-only (and thus not critical path for GA) and then
> > doing a rewrite at any time.
>
> When we voted on whether perchild was a showstopper or not I considered
> that to be equivalent to "perchild is experimental, use at your own risk".
>
> The real question is: How do we make it very obvious that perchild is
> experimental? A big red WARNING somewhere? Perhaps some code in
> configure.in to detect --with-mpm=perchild?

That's what documentation is for.  If people are going to switch to
non-default mpms without reading the documentation, they get what is
coming to them.

And by the way, +1 on fixing perchild now.  I think Ryan should feel free
to do anything he wants to improve the mpm, as long as it doesn't involve
major mucking with non-mpm code.  The only thing that could break is
perchild, and perchild is broken anyway.

Joshua.