httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Random languages for httpd.apache.org/docs
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2002 00:33:04 GMT
[Third try sending this... Now that my DNS problems are fixed, I hope it
will go through.]

On Sun, 10 Feb 2002, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 10, 2002 at 12:02:18PM -0500, Joshua Slive wrote:
> > The config files are wrong; they should have ForceLanguagePriority.
>
> rbb and I agree that "ForceLanguagePriority Prefer Fallback" should
> be the default.  It defaults to "None" right now.

Everyone's agreed there.  Whomever has the rights, please add this to
httpd.conf on the server.

> > BUT... This does not explain the problem.  In the absence of
> > ForceLanguagePriority, apache should do the following:

Our disagreement is here:

> > 1) If no Accept-Language: Use LanguagePriority.
>
> In this case, this is only used when "ForceLanguagePriority" is
> set to Prefer.  Look at mod_negotiation.c:set_language_quality().
> On browsers that don't send Accept-Language headers, we can't
> use any heuristics, so we avoid making any determination as to
> the quality of the variant.  However, we have a failsafe here:
> "Prefer" in ForceLanguagePriority.

I believe that this is wrong.  OtherBill's changes were meant to affect
only the case where Accept-Language is present.  If Accept-Language is not
present, then we should ALWAYS be using LanguagePriority, regardless of
ForceLanguagePriority.  This was the behavior in 1.3 and should continue
to be the behavior in 2.0, IMHO.

The alternative is completely non-sensical results, like returning the
smallest file.

The browser that sends no Accept-Language is saying "I have no idea how to
deal with language negotiation".  In that case, we MUST use the server's
best judgement of language.  We should not just ignore language and
negotiate based on other factors.  And we shouldn't require the
ForceLanguagePriority directive to make this happen.

Joshua.