httpd-dev mailing list archives

From di...@covalent.net
Subject Re: daemontools/foreground support in 1.3.*
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2002 11:05:05 GMT

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Lars Eilebrecht wrote:

> According to Justin Erenkrantz:
>
> > -0.  I personally believe that this shouldn't be backported.  If
> > you want this, you should use 2.0.
>
> I tend to agree.  -0 from me as well.
>
> There will always be a nice feature which could be backported,
> but IMHO we should avoid it unless there is a _very_ good reason.

A good reason is:

	"_I_ need it".

Or in other words - if there are volunteers/folks who want a specific
feature in 1.3 -and- are willing to work on it and maintain it; I'd be
loath to get in their way.

Standing in the way of honest people who have to get their days work done
(and who for some arcane reason are tied to 1.3) fo the sake of 'forcing'
the world to 2.0 is not the right thing. Apache is tied into too many
operations systems for those sort of upgrade tactics to be effective.

Gradually 2.0 will be picked up by peple when 2.0 is ready for the world
at large and people are ready for 2.0. For those in that ops space - 2.0
has got enough qualities to make it there on its own accord (flexible
child/process management, filters, binary compatibility, can I make you
drule even more ?)

But making things painfull by -and- allow the closing down of 1.3
forcefully -and- 2.0 being a moving target is not the right thing.

A '-0' or '-1' should be given for more technical reasons in my opinion.
And for those simply not interested in the 1.3 branch - then do not vote
or give it a '0'.

FreeBSD's 'release' and 'current' and the MFC merging has always seemed
like the right thing to me.

Dw