httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dale Ghent <da...@elemental.org>
Subject Re: I'd like to release 1.3.24...
Date Sat, 02 Feb 2002 19:52:57 GMT
On 2 Feb 2002, Jeff Trawick wrote:

| what the heck is HPSA?
|
| I thought you wanted pthread mutex to be the default on Solaris and
| not just a choice (like it is now)?  Was that somebody else?

HPSA Is my way of saying HAVE_PTHREAD_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT without having to
type out that long dang string ;)

Yeah, it was me saying that would be a good idea to make it the default.

| In general I'm cool with slowing down on this, but first I'd like to
| understand more about your concern with HPSA.  The code is completely
| busted as-is.  Some people have ineffective accept serialization,
| others have catastrophic failure, but certainly most people are
| unaffected.

My issue with including libpthread on Solaris builds that do not use
HAVE_PTHREAD_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT is that, as stated by the Sun docs at the
URL I posted yesterday, that unnecessary overhead is introduced into the
proces as thread-related structures and environment is set up and
maintained for the process... which is then never utilized.

It seems like a performance hit we can avoid. We can stick -lpthread in
LIBS and then enable HAVE_PTHREAD_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT for the default.
Otherwise, having -lpthread in there and NOT using
HAVE_PTHREAD_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT would just be a performance handicap for
90% of Solaris builds out there that do not enable
HAVE_PTHREAD_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT by hand.

| I hope to have a 2.7 test report in the next few days (a situation
| where someone is hurting now and will have their httpd replaced with
| one that pulls in -lpthread).

Cool!

/dale