httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject RE: Random languages for httpd.apache.org/docs (fwd)
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2002 20:40:27 GMT

> From: William A. Rowe, Jr. [mailto:wrowe@covalent.net]

> > 2. Change the code so that, just as in 1.3, LanguagePriority is
> ALWAYS used
> > if no Accept-Language request header is present, regardless of teh
> > ForceLanguagePriority directive.  There is no other sensible
> thing to do in
> > this case, so there is no point making it configurable.
>
> -1 - you are asking us to keep working against the HTTP/1.1 rfc.
> If they have
> a multilanguage site and wish to strictly enforce FLP None
> [fixing the other
> brokeness and actually prompting for their desired language from
> the availble
> languages] that's acceptable.  However...

You seem to be saying that a client that sends no Accept-Language should be
treated the same as a client that sends "Accept-Laguage: qq" (something that
never matches).  I disagree.  These two requests mean very different things.

As I said earlier, a client that does not send Accept-Language is saying "I
don't know how to deal with language negotiation".  The only sensible thing
to do in response is to substitute the server's best judgement on the
language dimension.

Obviously, the current behavior (ignoring the language dimension when
multiple languages are present) will never be correct.  Therefore, it should
not even be a configurable option.  If you want to return "No acceptable
variant", I guess I could live with that, but I don't think it is correct.
IMHO, the "correct" thing to do is to always use LanguagePriority when no
Accept-Language request header is present.

> ++1 for FLP defaults that mirror 1.3 :)))

That is what
ForceLanguagePriority None
should do.

Joshua.