httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject RE: Apache 2_0_31 is now rolled
Date Sat, 02 Feb 2002 22:36:04 GMT

> From: Ryan Bloom [mailto:rbb@covalent.net]

> My point is that I disagree with that.  We have been bumping tags on
> files when releasing 2.0 since 2.0.16, and we aren't even talking about
> bumping a tag here.  We are just talking about rolling the tarball on a
> different machine than was originally used.  The code didn't change
> between the original tarball and the second, just the machine used to do
> the roll.

The justification for not doing this is that the 2.0.31 tarball is now
public (officially or not).  Now if we reroll a new tarball and someone
comes to us and says "I'm having a problem with 2.0.31", we will never be
able to know exactly what they are using.  Even just the simple matter of
creating a .tar.gz can create big differences between distributions, let
alone the question of buildconf.

Suggestion: Tag 2.0.32 at exactly the same place as 2.0.31 (possibly with a
bump for the netware stuff) roll a new tarball with that version, and
release that.

Joshua.