httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: Releases, showstoppers, and vetos
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2002 20:33:04 GMT
"Roy T. Fielding" wrote:

> A showstopper, aside from a yet-to-be-reverted veto, can be
> moved from one section of STATUS to another by the RM (or
> anyone, for that matter) whenever they want.  It is only
> a showstopper if we ALL agree it is. The category only exists
> to simply remind us of what needs to be fixed.

Not codified, and certainly not clear:

> Showstoppers
>   Showstoppers are issues that require a fix be in place
>   before the next public release. They are listed in the STATUS
>   file in order to focus special attention on the problem. An
>   issue becomes a showstopper when it is listed as such in
>   STATUS and remains so by lazy consensus.

'Consensus' means vetos apply, as opposed to 'majority.'

I also disgree that anyone can (or should be able to) shuffle
a showstopper around.  That's bogus.  Let's just demote all
the current showstoppers and we have a golden release.  Not.

This is part of why I brought this up.  I disagree with the
interpretation you're placing on the guidelines.  And even if
it's generally accepted as the correct interpretation, then
I disgree with the guidelines on this issue and want it to
be discussed.
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"