httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Releases, showstoppers, and vetos
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2002 19:47:47 GMT
It has repeatedly been stated that only code changes can
be vetoed; releases cannot.  Unfortunately, that doesn't
appear to be explicit in the project guidelines (see
<URL:http://httpd.apache.org/dev/guidelines.html>).

After looking at this a bit, what I think I'm finding is
that a showstopper (which blocks a release) is essentially
the equivalent of a veto on the release.  It's a stoppage
based on a technical issue.

If that's an appropriate way to view it, then we need to
treat showstoppers a little differently:

o whomever identifies a showstopper needs to be named next
  to it in the STATUS file
o no-one can 'demote' a showstopper except the person who
  raised it in the first place

It seems to me that there should be two kinds of showstoppers:
those that will stop a beta, and those that will stop a final
release.  That hasn't been clear in the past, but making the
distinction means we can says, "these have to be fixed before
we can beta, and *these* have to be fixed for a real, golden
release."  I've made that segregation in the STATUS file.

Looking at STATUS, there seems to be a lot of extraneous cruft
in the SHOWSTOPPERS section -- like issues being voted.
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"