httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <i...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RFC] -- adding DNS timeout/retry directives to the core
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2002 18:28:44 GMT
Ryan Bloom wrote:
> Why do your web servers rely on DNS at all?  If your config file doesn't
> specify HostNameLookup on, and you always use dotted quad notation, the
> server shouldn't ever use the DNS server.  If it does, I would consider
> that a showstopper.

we don't do hostname lookup on our new platform, but on our old one we
do (and we have to, as it's too hard to change all the log-processing
scripts)

the other problem is the proxy code does a DNS lookup on each request.
we can't use a quad notation for a couple of reasons, mainly
ease of administration, and using round robin DNS. so removing the DNS
request itself is out of the question.