httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Ames <grega...@remulak.net>
Subject Re: daedalus is running 2.0.31
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2002 16:26:47 GMT
Aaron Bannert wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 10:20:09AM -0500, Greg Ames wrote:
>
> > yep.  It ran for nearly 5 hours.  Then the clock struck midnight, a cron job
> > kicked off a graceful restart, and:
>
> ...all the horses turned back into mice... ;)

hee, hee :)  very appropriate

> I have a feeling the scoreboard is getting destroyed by it's pool cleanup
> routine before this routine gets called:
>
> (gdb) p ap_scoreboard_image->parent
> $2 = (process_score *) 0x2823500c
> (gdb) p i
> $3 = 0
> (gdb) p ap_scoreboard_image->parent[0]
> Cannot access memory at address 0x2823500c.
>
> Did we intend to reuse the scoreboard across restarts, or recreate it?

Reuse it.

I think it would be cool if we could recreate it, but we are not there yet.  The
problem is that after a graceful restart, we don't know when the guys in third
world countries with 28.8Kb modems and noisy phone lines will be done
downloading the latest 4.6MB tomcat nightly build.  We can't free the scoreboard
until all of the old generation children go away, and that's complex to figure
out, so we reuse it.

> It looks like the scoreboard is currently being created in the pconf
> pool, which is cleared shortly after ap_run_mpm() decides to do a graceful.

That sounds bad.

Greg