httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: --enable-layout and overriding --prefix
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2002 18:32:22 GMT
On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 01:06:21PM -0500, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> > As I pointed out in my message *and* on irc where we were just having
> > this discussion, there is no way to let --prefix override the layout
> > with autoconf in a way that is guaranteed to work across versions
> > of autoconf, at least as far as I can see.
>
> Am I being especially thick to-day?  If the layout is processed
> earlier in configure than the other arguments, why doesn't that
> solve the problem?  I wasn't aware of any parallelisation done
> by configure.. :-)

In my version of autoconf (2.13), AC_INIT calls AC_INIT_PARSE_ARG,
which initializes all of the popular values to the autoconf defaults
(eg. prefix=NONE, exec_prefix=NONE, bindir='${exec_prefix}/bin', etc.)
and then immediately proceeds to parse the args to configure, possibly
overwriting the defaults. Since there is no way to know what those
defaults might be on current or future versions of autoconf, we have
no way to detect if the user actually explicitly set --prefix, or
if the value we got was just the default. This is a problem since
we'd like our --enable-layout to only override those variables.

I would love to find a way around this, but for now I'm thinking that
the only way is to have apache's configure.in reparse the args to
configure (like --prefix, etc) and set our own defaults for each.

-aaron