httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: --enable-layout and overriding --prefix
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2002 03:07:07 GMT
On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 11:47:42AM -0800, Aaron Bannert wrote:
> There's a little catch-22 that we're running into in trying to
> get --enable-layout to work. I have a patch that seems to fix
> --enable-layout again, but there is a potential problem:
> If one specifies --enable-layout=foo then that layout profile
> will completely override other settings like --prefix. I don't
> see this as a problem, since one must explicitly introduce
> --enable-layout (which in and of itself can completely control
> all buildtime/installtime paths).
>
> Due to some issues with autoconf, it wouldn't be possible to
> simply save and restore the --prefix -like params after
> APACHE_ENABLE_LAYOUT, since we'd have to guess what AC_INIT
> is supplying as the defaults (we can test for $prefix = NONE, but
> that trick doesn't work everywhere).
>
> Are we content with --enable-layout potentially overwriting all
> --prefix -like parameters?

It seems like one thing I overlooked in this scenario was that
the autoconf defaults are not necessarily the prefered apache
defaults. Because of this, what I currently have in CVS is not
the same install paths we had yesterday, which might cause
some confusion. I'm trying to come up with a good way to
keep the standard apache layouts while still allowing relative
installs based on --prefix or any of the other configure path
variables, but autoconf is fighting me.

I don't think we want to have to do ./configure --prefix=/foo
--datadir='${prefix}' --sysconfdir=conf ... every time we configure
Apache just to get the paths we're used to, so I'm hoping someone can
provide some insight. At this point I'm thinking that we should reparse
the --prefix variables again in our configure.in, and then set ap_prefix
variables from those.  This will at least let us set defaults and check
if a user changed from the default. OTOH this will take some serious
work.

-aaron