httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: problems debugging on Linux platform
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2002 17:36:15 GMT
Since this is not exactly a user support question, I will answer
it here but ask that you subscribe to the apache module authors
mailing list for any followup or future questions (send a message to
apache-modules-subscribe@covalent.net to subscribe). This very topic
was discussed there a couple weeks ago, and I've attached my post to
that list from this topic.

-aaron

p.s. your best bet for debugging modules will be to run in one-process/debug
mode, aka "httpd -X".

----- Forwarded message from Aaron Bannert <aaron@clove.org> -----

From: Aaron Bannert <aaron@clove.org>
Subject: Re: [apache-modules] Cannot debug modules
To: apache-modules@covalent.net
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 13:47:40 -0800

> I'm also having some debug problems, but it is on Win2k not Unix.  I'm using
> Apache 2.  For some reason, it will stop at breakpoints in all the code
> (config code, directive code, etc.) EXCEPT for the handler code.  Visual
> Studio lets me set the breakpoint in the handler, and the code does execute,
> but the breakpoint is ignored.
>
> A specific example of this happening is the included mod_example module.  A
> breakpoint at the start of the function x_handler() is ignored.  But, a
> breakpoint elsewhere such as at cmd_example() is reached.

Depending on your version of Visual Studio, you may have to preload
all dlls that you wish to set breakpoints on. VS7 does this automatically
for me. See the debug settings for your "project" I think...

As for gdb, you'll have to set a breakpoint somewhere after the modules
have been loaded and before your final intended breakpoint. Yes gdb sucks
but I haven't heard of a better way around it, unfortunately. For
Apache 2.0 I suggest breaking in pre_mpm to set breakpoints in DSO
modules.

-aaron