httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Thom May <t...@planetarytramp.net>
Subject Re: Trying to do a staged install with httpd2
Date Mon, 18 Feb 2002 23:07:29 GMT
* David Hill (David.D.Hill@Compaq.com) wrote :

> Hi,
>     I am trying to do a "staged install", that is build, then install into a location
other than the intended final directory.

>     This means that I want to build with prefix=/mypath, to install into /elsewhere/mypath,
and then at a later time, copy the bits into place on the tacget machine in /mypath and (of
course) have everything work :-)

>     A lot of open sourcepackages support an environment variable DESTDIR, which is set
in the installation phase (to /elsewhere in my example) but which is not set during the build
phase so built in paths are still ok. Apache 1.3 allows you to set the environment variable
root=/elsewhere to achieve this effect.

> So with Apache 1.3 I can
>     configure --prefix=/myplace
>     make all
>     root=/elsewhere make install
> and the right thing happens.

the debian apache2 packages (coming soon to a server near you!) do this:
make install prefix=$(CURDIR)/debian/apache2

which works fine.
Cheers,
-Thom

(afaik, this will work will all autoconfised programs)