httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: old lock API in prefork?
Date Sun, 17 Feb 2002 02:05:10 GMT
On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 10:12:11PM -0800, Brian Pane wrote:
> The prefork MPM is still using the old lock API
> for its accept mutex.  I have a patch to replace
> this with the apr_proc_mutex_t API.  But before
> I commit it, is there any reason why it would be
> unsafe to do so (e.g., platforms on which prefork
> is supported but the apr_proc_mutex API is not
> yet implemented)?

+1

The only reason I didn't run through and remove all uses of CROSS_PROCESS
in httpd was that not all the platforms had implemented apr_proc_mutex_t
in APR completely. IMHO, if they are not implemented by now we can't
hold up the changes any longer.

Here is my plan of attack, if anyone is interested in helping out:

1) Convert all apr_lock_t APR_CROSS_PROCESS types to apr_proc_mutex_t.
2) Invent a new apr_global_mutex_t (akin to APR_LOCKALL).
3) Convert all apr_lock_t APR_LOCKALL to apr_global_mutex_t.
4) Remove all remaining uses of apr_lock_t from httpd.
5) Eventually remove apr_lock.h files from APR...

-aaron