httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] 2.0.32 beta announcement
Date Sat, 16 Feb 2002 00:38:45 GMT
On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 04:25:10PM -0800, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> By my count, we now have 6 +1s for a 2.0.32 beta in STATUS.  Some
> variant of this release has been on daedalus for over a week now.
> I'm fairly confident we have something that is better than 2.0.28.
> Therefore, I would like to unleash this on the world as a beta.
> If you have any formal objections, please state them now.

make that 13, +1 from me.

> However, I am going to hold off on formally announcing any 2.0.32
> until we have .zip files to allow our Win32 users source and
> binary access.  OtherBill has volunteered and hopes to have them
> in /dist/httpd by tomorrow morning.
>
> At that time, I will rename httpd-2.0.32-alpha.tar.gz to
> httpd-2.0.32-beta.tar.gz.  I will also post this message to
> announce@httpd.apache.org and the other usual places at the same
> time.

I don't think we need to wait for binaries to release a beta, and besides,
you're going to have to wait a couple days to announce it so the mirrors
can pick up the rename anyway.

> Does anyone have any comments or concerns?  -- justin
>
> P.S. Should we include a link to www.apache.org/dist/httpd in this
> announcement?

Yes, or preferably a link to the mirrors page instead.

> Apache 2.0.32 Released as Beta
> ------------------------------
>
> The Apache HTTP Server Project is proud to announce the thirty-second
> release of Apache 2.0.  This is the third public beta of Apache 2.0.
How about:               "This has been deemed the third public beta..."
Or:                      "The HTTP Server Project has determined this
                          release to be of beta quality..."
(I don't think many people will understand the distinction between 2.0.32
and beta vs. not beta.)

> This release has been tested thoroughly and has been running the
> apache.org web site since Feb. 7, 2002.
>
> Design and implementation of Apache 2.0 is now nearing completion.  If
> you are a module author with specific issues in the API, this is your
> best opportunity to raise them so that your concerns are addressed
> prior to a General Availability release of Apache 2.0.
>
> While Apache continously undergoes improvement, major new features are
> now being deferred into the 2.1 version in order to expedite a General
> Availability release.  If you have postponed testing Apache 2.0 due to
> its experimental nature, please download and test this Apache 2.0.32
> release to help ensure that this forthcoming 2.0 release is the best
> version available.

+1 good stuff

> Apache 2.0 offers numerous enhancements, improvements and performance
> boosts over the 1.3 codebase.  The most visible and noteworthy addition
> is the ability to run Apache in a hybrid thread/process mode on any
> platform that supports both threads and processes.  This has been shown
> to improve the scalability of the Apache HTTPD server significantly on
> some versions of Unix in our testing.  Apache 2.0 also includes support
> for filtered I/O.  This allows modules to modify the output of other
> modules before it is sent to the client.  Finally, we have included
> support for IPv6 on any platform that supports IPv6.
>
> This version of Apache is known to work on many versions of Unix, BeOS,
> OS/2, and Windows.  Because of many of the advancements in Apache 2.0,
> this release of Apache is expected to perform equally well on all
> supported platforms.
>
> There are new snapshots of the Apache httpd source available every
> six hours from http://cvs.apache.org/snapshots/httpd-2.0/ - please
> download and test if you feel brave.  We don't guarantee anything
> except that it will take up disk space, but if you have the time and
> skills, please give it a spin on your platforms.
>
> Apache has been the most popular web server on the Internet since
> April of 1996. The January 2002 WWW server site survey by Netcraft
> (http://www.netcraft.com/survey/) found that more web servers were
> using Apache than any other software running on more than 56% of the
> Internet web servers.
>
> For more information, please check out http://httpd.apache.org/.
>
> Known issues with this release
> ------------------------------
>
>   *) When using LogLevel debug, you may see spurious log entries
>      reporting failures in read_request_line() or get_mime_headers().
>      This is usually a harmless error.  You may ignore this message or
>      increase your LogLevel setting.  A proper patch for this problem
>      has already been committed to CVS and will be included in the next
>      release.  The patch is available at:
>         http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/httpd-2.0/server/protocol.c.diff?r1=1.83&r2=1.84
>
>   These issues will be addressed in a future release.
>
>   Please refer to the Apache bug database at http://bugs.apache.org/ for
>   information about problems not addressed in this document.

Since this is our big push for beta testing, why don't we make this link
much more obvious? Perhaps making another major section title:

Reporting Bugs:

> Changes since the last public release
How about: Changes since 2.0.28, the last public release

[snip CHANGES]

Looks good. I have a good feeling about this beta and I can taste the gold!

-aaron