httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kraemer <Martin.Krae...@Fujitsu-Siemens.com>
Subject Re: UseCanonicalName Off in default config
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2002 22:39:23 GMT
On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 03:11:52PM -0500, Joshua Slive wrote:
> This configuration seems more idiot-proof and would eliminate a huge chunk
> of newbie "why can't I access a directory without a trailing slash"
> questions.
>
> I'm posting here before committing because I don't know if there may be some
> subtle security or other issue that has prevented this change from being
> made long ago.

Typically, you expect people to _at_least_ be able to configure their
own host name correctly. Alas, even some vendors supply a default
configuration with "ServerName localhost" or "ServerName 127.0.0.1".

For these, the change is the best fix. For the former (and for everyone
who _knows_ what he's doing), the old logic "whatever you typed in to
reach me, I use my correct name nonetheless" is probably better.

+0.5 from here for the change.

  Martin
--
<Martin.Kraemer@Fujitsu-Siemens.com>         |     Fujitsu Siemens
Fon: +49-89-636-46021, FAX: +49-89-636-47655 | 81730  Munich,  Germany