httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: Releases, showstoppers, and vetos
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2002 21:08:51 GMT
* On 2002-02-06 at 15:59,
  William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@covalent.net> excited the electrons to say:

> WRONG.  You are proposing that one individual may block a release.

Yes.

> That is diametrically opposed to the spirit of HTTP.

Rubbish.  I mean, "I disagree."

> We are [now] treating showstoppers in 2.0 as sancrosect.  That
> means they can be overridden.

If they're sacrosanct, then they can't be overridden.

> But one individual cannot block the progress of the Apache HTTP
> Project.

Stopping a release from happening is far from 'blocking the progress
of the project.'  I'm saying that if one of our core developers
thinks the code is so broken it shouldn't be released, then it
shouldn't be released until the issue is resolved to that person's
satisfaction.

The problem, of course, is that a code veto can stand forever,
but we cannot allow a release to be blocked that way.  So I
guess I'll back down some.  :-)

But only to the point that it needs a majority to demote a
showstopper.  I still don't support the idea that 'the RM or
anyone' can do so arbitrarily.
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"