httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: Releases, showstoppers, and vetos
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2002 21:33:52 GMT
> I add a showstopper to STATUS. One other person says "-1, that's
> not a showstopper". By my interpretation of the rules, they CANNOT
> demote it from showstopper until there are enough people who would
> vote to release (more +1s than -1s). This means that in order to
> demote it, there would have to be two -1s to offset my +1.

A showstopper is just an issue!  Damnit guys, if you can't figure this out
I am going to remove the whole category from STATUS as being obviously bad
for your brain cells.  A problem that is a showstopper is simply AN OPINION
that there won't be a majority +1 approval of a release until it is fixed.
Obviously, if there is *ANY* debate on whether or not something is a
showstopper, then it doesn't belong in that category -- it doesn't
become a showstopper until it has the effect of stopping the show.
It is just an opinion until someone calls for a vote.

The only person who can declare an issue as being a showstopper is the RM,
since they are the one waiting until after the fix is made before creating a
tarball.  Otherwise, they are free to ignore *any* issue that doesn't
involve an outstanding veto on HEAD.  Those are the rules that we've lived
by for a long time now, and there is no way in hell that I'll support the
notion that anyone can stop a release without a formal vote.

....Roy