httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: Releases, showstoppers, and vetos
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2002 21:06:40 GMT
On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 03:53:09PM -0500, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> Greg Marr wrote:
> >
> > I read that last sentence as: "An issue becomes a showstopper when
> > it is listed as such in STATUS, and remains one until someone vetoes
> > it, at which time it is no longer a showstopper. ..."
>
> I think that's bogus, too.  If someone thinks something is serious
> enough to stop a release, they should be no more overridable than
> any other block (read: veto).  I find the idea of being able
> to veto a showstopper completely ludicrous. :-)

And I completely agree with you, Ken. But as I pointed out in my previous
email, I think this is already covered by our release guidelines. If
a simple majority of people would still vote +1 for a release while a
particular issue was a showstopper, then by definition it should no longer
be a showstopper. In all other cases, it shall remain a showstopper.

Example:

I add a showstopper to STATUS. One other person says "-1, that's
not a showstopper". By my interpretation of the rules, they CANNOT
demote it from showstopper until there are enough people who would
vote to release (more +1s than -1s). This means that in order to
demote it, there would have to be two -1s to offset my +1.

If this is any clearer than what we have in the guidelines, I propose
we include similiar verbage.

-aaron