httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: Releases, showstoppers, and vetos
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2002 20:43:58 GMT
On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 03:33:04PM -0500, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> "Roy T. Fielding" wrote:
> >
> > A showstopper, aside from a yet-to-be-reverted veto, can be
> > moved from one section of STATUS to another by the RM (or
> > anyone, for that matter) whenever they want.  It is only
> > a showstopper if we ALL agree it is. The category only exists
> > to simply remind us of what needs to be fixed.
>
> Not codified, and certainly not clear:
>
> > Showstoppers
> >   Showstoppers are issues that require a fix be in place
> >   before the next public release. They are listed in the STATUS
> >   file in order to focus special attention on the problem. An
> >   issue becomes a showstopper when it is listed as such in
> >   STATUS and remains so by lazy consensus.
>
> 'Consensus' means vetos apply, as opposed to 'majority.'

I think the term "consensus" as defined in our guidelines is not
appropriate for showstoppers. The overriding issue here is how we make
releases. In that respect, a showstopper is something that would prevent
a majority approval for a release.

It is difficult to manage that concept in the STATUS file, since
that means that showstoppers are really the inverse of a majority
approval vote. As long as there are more people in favor of making it
a showstopper, it shall remain a showstopper.

IMO, this logic was applied to all recent showstopper rearranging.

-aaron