httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: UseCanonicalName considered harmful
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2002 15:57:25 GMT
On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 09:44:22AM -0500, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> ServerName MyServer.Com
> Listen 10000
> Listen 20000
>   Canonical name should be: MyServer.Com:<port-used-by-the-request>

It's this case that makes me think we should just rename ServerName to
something like CanonicalServerName and require that it always be of the
form "servername:port".

It is useful for Apache to report itself running on a different port
than it's listening, but I don't see how we can do that with the
proposed changes. The typical use case for this is an apache server
behind a NAT firewall that redirects an external IP:port to an internal
IP:port. -- Same case is for some load balancers.

-aaron