httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: I'd like to release 1.3.24...
Date Sat, 02 Feb 2002 20:14:18 GMT
Dale Ghent wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Feb 2002, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>
> | I'd like for us to consider releasing 1.3.24 specifically for the Solaris
> | pthread fix. I offer to be RM. I'll update STATUS for voting and comments.
>
> I don't know, I think it might be premature to do that.
>
> I still think that it's a bad idea to unconditionally include libpthread
> on Solaris builds in cases where HPSA is not enabled, which would be
> (relatively) rare situations because HPSA is not the default for Solaris.

But it *is*. That's the point. Right now, 1.3.23 is broken for Solaris.
And Solaris is an important enough and popular enough OS that it
warrants something like this.

> Also, I think that since 1.3.9, the 1.3 tree has suffered from enough
> "oops" releases to warrant maybe acumulating a few more fixes, then
> testing, and then releasing. I do believe time is on our side for this
> one and shouldnt be rushed so soon in the wake of .23.

Why? If we have a fix, then let's release it. Considering that the
bug means that Solaris is broken "out of the box" is Not Good, in
my opinion :) Fast turnaround is one of the advantages of open source
and how we work... I'd prefer being slammed because we had 2 releases
"close to each other" than having code out there that's not right, and
we *know* it's not right. If we had the concept of patch level with
our releases then it would be different. Yes, we could just release
a patch, and we should do that anyway, but if the whole reason why
we should release 1.3.24 is because we "just" released 1.3.23, I don't
think that's strong enough. I don't mind putting forth the effort to
release .24, and saying that unless you're running Solaris there's no
compelling reason to upgrade...

Just my opinion :)