httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: daemontools/foreground support in 1.3.*
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2002 14:07:31 GMT

I agree with Dirk-Willem.  I'm much less sympathetic to the "it's time
to move on" arguments these days.  I think we have given 2.0 plenty of
headroom.  1.3 won't die out for a very long time and we can be nice
about that.  Of course 2.0 should get the vast majority of our calories.

1.3 is very stable software.  Changes to it need to climb over a very
high quality barrier.  That requires a depth of skilled labor to do the
review.  The labor, with commit rights, to work on 1.3 is pretty thin on
the ground.

Daemontools is _very_ good stuff.  I recomend looking into it.  Very
elegant design.  Like it's siblings qmail and dbjdns it requires a
moment to get into it's mindset.

The patch <http://makeashorterlink.com/?R4E33267> is extremely straight
forward.  My only reservation is that main.c in 1.3 is a mess and that
has a tendency to bite you.

  - ben

--
http://www.cozy.org:83/bhyde.html